Entering retirement is a new phase in life. It offers avenues to savour the rewards of your labour, indulge in hobbies, explore the world, and cherish moments with loved ones. So, to transform your retirement aspirations into reality, it’s crucial to plan and safeguard your financial well-being proactively.
Investing in a ULIP (Unit Linked Insurance Plan) is one of the best ways to plan your retirement. A ULIP is a hybrid product offering insurance and investment benefits. It allows you to protect your family from unforeseen events and grow your wealth over time. In this post, we will tell you how you can plan a prosperous retirement with ULIP investment.
How do ULIPs Work?
A ULIP is a life insurance policy that lets you invest a part of your premium in various funds of your choice. The funds can be equity, debt, balanced, or hybrid, depending on the level of risk and return you are comfortable with. For example, an aggressive young investor can opt for equity funds that invest in the stock market and offer high returns. If you are a conservative and risk-averse investor, you can choose debt funds that invest in fixed-income securities and provide stable returns. You can also mix and match different funds to create a balanced portfolio that suits your needs.
The beauty of ULIP investment plans is that they give you flexibility. You can switch between funds per your changing goals and market conditions. You can also increase or decrease your premium amount, sum assured, and policy term at your convenience. Moreover, you can enjoy ULIP tax benefits on your premium payments, fund returns, and maturity proceeds under Section 80C and Section 10(10D) of the Income Tax Act 1961.
How to Maximise the Returns from ULIPs?
ULIPs are long-term investment products that can help you achieve your retirement goals. However, to get the best returns from your ULIPs, you must follow some strategies and best practices. These are:
- Start early: The earlier you start investing in ULIPs, the more time you will have to grow your money and benefit from the power of compounding. Compounding is the process of earning interest on your interest, multiplying your wealth exponentially over time. For example, if you invest ₹10,000 per month in a ULIP that gives a 10% annual return for 25 years, you will accumulate ₹1.02 crore at the end of the term. However, if you invest the same amount for 15 years, you will only get ₹34.8 lakh at the end of the term. Hence, starting early can make a huge difference in your retirement corpus.
- Invest for the long term: ULIPs are designed for long-term investment, offering better returns and lower charges over time. You should avoid withdrawing or surrendering your ULIP policy before maturity, as it may attract penalties and taxes. You should avoid switching funds too frequently, as it may incur charges and disrupt your investment strategy. Stick to your ULIP plan for the entire policy term and reap the benefits of long-term investing.
- Diversify your portfolio: Diversification is the key to reducing risk and enhancing returns. It’s best to diversify your ULIP portfolio by investing in different types of funds with various risk-return profiles. This will help you balance your portfolio and protect it from market fluctuations. To create a well-rounded retirement plan, you can diversify your portfolio by investing in other asset classes, such as gold, real estate, mutual funds, and fixed deposits.
- Switch funds wisely: ULIPs allow you to switch between funds per your changing goals and market conditions. You should use this feature wisely and change funds only when necessary. You should not switch funds based on emotions or short-term market movements. Switch funds based on your risk appetite, investment horizon, and retirement goals. You should also monitor the performance of your funds and switch funds if they are underperforming or not aligned with your objectives.
- Review your performance periodically: You should review your ULIP performance regularly and adjust if needed. You should check your fund value, performance, charges, and returns at least once a year. Also, review your retirement goals and needs and see if they have changed over time. Increase or decrease your premium amount, sum assured, and policy term accordingly. You should also consult a financial advisor for guidance or assistance.
Retirement planning is essential to financial planning, facilitating attaining post-retirement lifestyle and objectives. ULIPs can help you grow wealth, save taxes, and protect your family. However, to get the best results from your ULIPs, you must choose the best ULIP plan, invest long-term, diversify your portfolio, switch funds wisely, and review your performance periodically. You must also plan your withdrawal carefully and consult a financial advisor.